Pages

Saturday 2 April 2011

Upcycled Sleep Sack

I don't usually blog on the weekend, but I was crafty today and didn't want to wait until next week to share with you all.

I came across this idea from lovinthemommyhood about making a sleep sack from a men's dress shirt.  The original tutorial is from The Cottage Home along with some other incredible tutorials.  I encourage you to check out both of these blogs!

The Cottage Home



The reason I made a new sleep sack for MJ was... I just wanted to try out this tutorial, and because he is outgrowing his old one.  My niece is currently using our next size up. MJ is about the same size as his older cousin, so I had a great excuse to try this out!  Now my wonderful husband doesn't wear dress shirts on a regular basis (he owns two for suits), so I headed over to the Walmart clearance section.  Oh my lucky day!! I picked up two ladies night shirts for only $3 each.  I also got some great kids clothes for gifts...

I mostly followed the tutorial but made a few changes.  I used the full length of the night shirt as MJ is wearing size 18months (he is only 9months old).  I also used the full width of the shirt, so I had very little sewing to do.  On the light blue one I used white bias tape.  On the darker one I used double wide navy bias tape.


Unfortunately for me I traced MJ's old sleep sack that I also made and the arm holes are way too big.  I'll just sew them up and take in a little at the sides tomorrow.  I'd love some ideas for how to decorate them a bit more as they are rather plain.


Have a great weekend and I'll see you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, those are SO adorable!! That little guy is just such a cutie and so happy - I love it. Thanks so much to for mentioning my blog - I really appreciate it. You did an amazing job on the sleep sacks. Thank you very much for sharing :-)

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for letting me know you made these! You should add them to our flickr group. I always love seeing what readers are making. Have a great day and thanks so much for mentioning the blog and for sharing your pics:)

    ReplyDelete