Pages

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Fabric Birthday Banner

I have seen a lot of fabric birthday banners on blogs and Etsy recently.  I love the idea so I made one for our family. I didn't take enough pictures to make a detailed tutorial, but it is quite simple to make.

Materials:
Scissors
ruler
scrap material
sewing machine
broad cloth binding approx 9-10 feet
felt

How To:
1. Cut 32 triangles (16 if you only want single side) out of your chosen fabric.  My triangles are 7inches wide at the top and 9 inches down to the point.

2. Cut out your desired letters out of felt.  I printed mine on the computer first then taped the paper to the felt to cut out.  Some people have fancy cutting machines now, but I have cute scissors instead.

3. Glue felt to triangles.  I used regular white craft glue.  I wasn't in the mood to applique all the letters on.

4. Sew two triangles together to make them double sided. Turn right side out and press.

5. Line up all your triangles and attach to the binding. Mine is now a little over 9 feet long.

Marvel at your wonderful banner. Birthday on one side and a general decoration on the other.

Options:
I have seen some people do a girly theme on one side and a boy theme on the other.
Use pinking shears to cut the triangles and make them one sided
Make mini triangles for extra decorations
Use different words try: Celebrate, Thanksgiving, Spring...

What is next for me:
Make some mini banners in different colour schemes: cools, warms, fall, winter
Make a reversible fall/winter banner

Things I'd change:
I may have selected more birthday type material.
I noticed that my "p's" were switched (only I would care)

I'll post more pictures as I make these projects.  Those who know me also know that I may move on to another project before I get to all of these.

I linked to:



Somewhat Simple

Whatever Goes Wednesdays at Someday Crafts

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for breaking down the steps. Often I see awesome projects, but don't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete