Pages

Sunday 17 July 2011

Setting the table placemats



For almost a year TJ has been helping set the table.  We try to involve him in as much around the house as we can.  MJ is of course very interested in everything we do and tries to "help".  I have seen these placemats on several different blogs and Etsy too.

Materials:
placemat to trace
large piece of material for front and back
scraps for utensils
stiff interfacing (optional)


How to:
1. Trace an existing placemat on to the material you'd like for the front and back.
2. If both pieces of material are thin, then also trace some interfacing. I used denim for one side so I think mine are stiff enough.
3. Trace some cutlery from your kitchen onto scraps of material.
4. Cut out the cutlery and applique to one large piece.
5. With right sides together sew the two large pieces together (also include interfacing if needed).
6. Trim corners, turn right side out and sew opening shut.
7. About 1/4" in from the edge, sew around the placemat to finish off.

Hope your kids have fun with the table.  Enjoy!
I made a set of six for our table.  My mom gave me some beautiful fabric from France.  Of course I forgot to take a picture so I'll try to update this post soon.  I chose to make the other side without appliques so that we can use it for different occasions.

2 comments: